Travelling to Canada


All 28th Commonwealth Agriculture Conference attendees travelling from outside of Canada should read the information below.

Step 1: Determine if you require a visa or eTA:

Step 2:  Register for the 28th Commonwealth Agriculture Conference:

Step 3: Once your conference registration process has been completed [and paid for], you may request a letter of invitation.

Step 4: Once you receive your letter of invitation, apply for your travel authorization as early as possible – 12 weeks prior to the conference is suggested:


Requirements to enter Canada

Canada has recently implemented new requirements for international visitors.

All international visitors, arriving in Canada by air will require either an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visa, which must be obtained from the Government of Canada prior to departing for Canada – 12 weeks prior to the conference is suggested.

The only exceptions are travellers who arrive with one of the following documents:

  • A valid Canadian passport,
  • A valid Canadian permanent resident card, or
  • A valid U.S. passport.

NOTE: Airlines will not allow you to board the aircraft without either an eTA or a visa.

Travellers arriving in Canada by car, bus, train, or boat do not require an eTA, but they may still require a visa.


Basic travel requirements for entering Canada

In order to enter Canada you must meet certain basic travel requirements, which are detailed on this Government of Canada website:


Letter of invitation

Only those who register for the Main Conference are eligible to receive a Letter of Invitation.

Even if you do not require a visa or eTA, it is recommended that you request a letter of invitation to present at the border if you are travelling from outside of Canada.

Having a letter of invitation from the conference host Northlands is required in order to apply for a visa. Including a letter of invitation with your visa application does not guarantee that your visa will be approved. 

We recommend that you print a separate copy of the letter to present at the border.

The letter of invitation does not guarantee that you will be admitted to Canada.


28th Commonwealth Agriculture Conference special event code

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is the department within the Government of Canada responsible for managing applications for visas and eTAs.

The 28th Commonwealth Agriculture Conference has been registered with the Special Events Unit of IRCC, and has received the special event code “18NORT.” It is important that you reference this code if applying for a visa or eTA to attend the Conference. Using this code does not guarantee that your visa will be approved.



Only those who register for the Main Conference are eligible to receive a Letter of Invitation.

There is no cost for the letter of invitation.

There is $100 CAD charge for a visa and a $7 CAD charge for the eTA.


Conference registration is a requirement

Northlands CANNOT issue a letter of invitation to anyone NOT registered as a Conference attendee.

Note: if your ability to attend the Conference depends on bringing a travel companion (for example, because of medical reasons), please contact us by email as soon as possible with the details of your circumstances at



If you have any questions, please contact us at